Tuesday, October 21, 2008

{Charles G. Clark}



Today is the one year anniversary of my Uncle Charlie passing away. I just wanted to write a little post so we could all remember the funny little quirks that made him our favorite Uncle Charlie. Just a little background on him for all of you that did not know him, Charlie never had any children. So all of us grand kids became his. He had a special little place for all of us, and we him. He and I were always very close, and I was able to go spend my last semester of high school with him in Boise working in the legislature. It was one of the funnest things I have ever done. So with that here are some of my favorite memories of Charlie.

*Charlie always had lots of puppies. Since he never had children he had dogs. His latest is this little dog rags who went everywhere, and always ate better than we did.

*Charlie loved to eat and was a frequent visitor of the Famous Horse Shoe for a 26 oz steak.

* Charlie was listed among the 50 most influential men in Idaho, but to us was just an old cramuntion ( I have no idea how to spell that, but it is what he always called himself)

* He was the president of the good grade club, and would get super offended if you didn't send him your report card.

* He loved old music, and would blast it as loud as he could.

* He claimed to be the 5Th best fly fisherman in Idaho. He tried to teach us grand kids to fish, but ended that soon because we scarred them all away by being loud. I think Colby and Lisa were the only ones who were allowed to go.


*Whenever asked how he was doing he would say, "For my age, weight, and shape, not bad."

* He rubbed shoulders with all of Idaho, and the nations politicians. It was not an odd event to see the governor up fishing at charlie's little fishing retreat.

* He gave everyone a nickname. Related to him or not. A few examples Nort (me) CarlieArlie (Carlie) the BMOC (Colby) Che'lynny poo (Che'lyn) Da (linda) Nat (natassia) Fanny (Ashlyn) Jimmy (Carter) Roslyn (Ryen) honey bunny (Kathy)


* He was always taking photos.

* He loved his Harley, and referred to it as his Scooter.

* He had an old Lincoln that he loved to take us girls in. It had leather seats and we would slide across the back in our silky panties (we were wearing dresses). Thus it earned its name as the slidey car. When I was a Paige in Boise we would take it for Sunday outings. I never knew where we would end up.

* We all have manners because of him. If we ever rode in a car with him he would put in an etiquette tape. Then he would treat us to a very nice dinner to practice.

* He needed lots of nappies

* He played a great Santa Clause

* When we were little he would always ask us if the golden plates were dishwasher safe (we were always stumped)

*He loved Coffee as black as his mother's heart (which never made sense to me because she is the sweetest lady ever)

* If he really liked you he would refer to you as a Great American. When Nic passed away he wrote me a letter informing me that Nic had been a Great American. It is the highest honor from him.

* He was an influential Republican. I wish I could get his opinions on this race.

* He was always so concerned about us kids. When I was having problems during my pregnancy with Avery he would call weekly for reports. He would always end the conversation with "If those quacks don't know what they are doing remember that I have a minor in biology." As if he could just take care of the situation.


* He was a huge supporter of education, and was so proud when we all graduated. I don't think he missed one high school or college graduation.

* He loved trestle

* He expected thank you cards. Which we were not always so good at getting out.

Charlie was an amazing man, and always had time for us. We all miss and love him very much. So as charlie would say "TA TA FOR NOW."



11 comments:

Carlie said...

That was really nice Cort. I know how much we all miss him. He was such an amazing guy, and I'm sure he's up there just freaking out about this years election. And that current economy situation... :)

LaNdOn AnD cHe' said...

Man... just not okay with Charlie being gone. Working on this video is devastating. He was such a great guy and I know that we will see him again someday, but not soon enough! I loved all of your memories of him.

Mandi said...

(FYI, I do dump Pine- Sol down the sink daily)
I remember when we first started hangin in the 4th grade and you would always talk about Charlie taking you to the Silver Horseshoe. I thought your family was a bunch of raging alcoholics taking their kids to a bar. I didn't know they served food there. Shows how much I got out!! What a great guy he was.

Unknown said...

Good post Cort. You guys have a fantastic family and have survived so much. Here's to Charlie ching ching

JC Photography said...

What a sweet tribute Cortney! He sounds like an amazing uncle and friend. Love ya!

Kim said...

Amazing post Nort. What a tribute to the ol' guy. I miss him a lot too. You hit on all the greatest memories. How we love Uncle Charlie...

Anonymous said...

Amen! I hope wherever he is he is getting the missionary discount!! I MISS that man soooooo much, he was a fabulous brother and a great friend! I am so glad all of the nieces and nephews have wonderful memories of him. He also gave you all great advice whether you thought so or not.Thanks for the memories Cort, he LOVED ALL Of YOU!!

Jen said...

You hit the nail on the head! You captured all of the great things that we all love and miss about Uncle Charlie. I love the part about the golden plates. Ha ha. He was such a well known man yet so down to earth. I don't think I ever really knew how influential he was in the state of Idaho because to me he was just my Uncle Charlie. We miss you Charlie!! P.S. I love the picture that you posted of Charlie and Rags.

District 6 Festival Committee said...

That is so sweet of you to write. I love that we can all learn about each other, appreciatte each other and grow to love each other more because of blogging. What a great blessing in our life. I love you. You are an amazing blessing to our family. I am so grateful for you!

Bree said...

Great tribute, Cort. Your uncle sounds like such an amazing and fun guy!

Linda, Brad and they're driving us mad said...

Wow... I was having a rough day yesterday and after reading your blog, it made me laugh about Charlie. What a guy!! I miss him but I know that he is taking care of all of us up in Heaven. Thanks for this Cortney.