1. How he always had to make a big entrance. You always knew when Nic had walked through the door.
2. How dang competitive he was. Do I need to remind anyone about the game of risk, or the unfortunate game of Scum.
3. How much he loved our kids.I remember when Avery was born he kept saying "I never thought I could feel this way about someone."
4. I never could ride behind him on anything motorized. For example, our honeymoon we were jet skiing through the ocean. He forgot I was on the back, and left me swimming with the scary fish. Also, snowmachining once he forgot I was on the back and hit a jump. Thankfully the other couple was behind us to pick me up. Who knows how long I could have laid in that snowdrift.
5. How he cut his hair in a Mohawk to look like Chuck Ladell (the ufc fighter), but Lindsey and I kept teasing him that it was really to look like Justin Timberlake. He didn't think that was very funny.Or, how he let Che bleach his hair the week before we got married. It looked awesome. NOT!
6. He loved to take the stroker out muddin. How redneck is that.
7. He thought crash derbies was a sport to be taken very seriously, and entered every chance he got.
8. When we played paintball he always went along with my rules. Which were, I could shoot him but he couldn't shoot me. I don't think he had any idea how good my aim was.
9. He was a hard worker, and I loved working in spud harvest with him. We always shared a lot of laughs.
10. He was a really good cook. There are a few of us that would really like his secret marinade recipe. Even I don't know it.
11. He was always helping out the missionaries, and had a strong testimony.
12. Whenever he was talking to someone he didn't know he would start talking different. I was never sure what he was doing. Or if someone had an accent instantly he would have an accent to. I would give him endless grief over this. It always cracked me up.
4. I never could ride behind him on anything motorized. For example, our honeymoon we were jet skiing through the ocean. He forgot I was on the back, and left me swimming with the scary fish. Also, snowmachining once he forgot I was on the back and hit a jump. Thankfully the other couple was behind us to pick me up. Who knows how long I could have laid in that snowdrift.

5. How he cut his hair in a Mohawk to look like Chuck Ladell (the ufc fighter), but Lindsey and I kept teasing him that it was really to look like Justin Timberlake. He didn't think that was very funny.Or, how he let Che bleach his hair the week before we got married. It looked awesome. NOT!
6. He loved to take the stroker out muddin. How redneck is that.
7. He thought crash derbies was a sport to be taken very seriously, and entered every chance he got.
8. When we played paintball he always went along with my rules. Which were, I could shoot him but he couldn't shoot me. I don't think he had any idea how good my aim was.
9. He was a hard worker, and I loved working in spud harvest with him. We always shared a lot of laughs.
10. He was a really good cook. There are a few of us that would really like his secret marinade recipe. Even I don't know it.
11. He was always helping out the missionaries, and had a strong testimony.
12. Whenever he was talking to someone he didn't know he would start talking different. I was never sure what he was doing. Or if someone had an accent instantly he would have an accent to. I would give him endless grief over this. It always cracked me up.
13. He just talked funny in general (but in a good way). At his funeral the bishop stood up and gave a pretty good impression of this. He would drag out names, and give them a little drawl.
14. He used to ask me to dance during the preview music at movie theatres.
15. On our first date, he didn't walk me to the door. Instead he punched me on the arm and said, "Maybe I'll see you around sometime." Little did he know.
16. He used to bath with our kids every night. He was always looking for new bath toys for him and Mason.
14. He used to ask me to dance during the preview music at movie theatres.
15. On our first date, he didn't walk me to the door. Instead he punched me on the arm and said, "Maybe I'll see you around sometime." Little did he know.
16. He used to bath with our kids every night. He was always looking for new bath toys for him and Mason.
17. He loved his family, and was close to all of his siblings. I think he talked to his little brother Rob on the phone more than anyone.

18. He taught Mason to stand up in his crib, and scream Suey.
19. He was always acting a little like a kid. I was laughing the other night with his best friend, about how they were jumping off of the bridge at our swimming pool (in Tx), and got kicked out. Then later that week we went to a go cart place and the two of them got kicked out for bumping into each other. He was always causing trouble. :)
20. He loved parties, and having people over to our house.

21. He was kind to everyone (when I wasn't always) I don't think there are too many people who can say they had a major fight with Nic.
22. How he was late for almost every family party in the winter. This was usually because he was snowmachining.
23. He loved to watch funny movies with me, and then would randomly quote them. Just because it made me laugh. Our personal favorite was Night at the Roxbury.
22. How he was late for almost every family party in the winter. This was usually because he was snowmachining.
23. He loved to watch funny movies with me, and then would randomly quote them. Just because it made me laugh. Our personal favorite was Night at the Roxbury.
24. He loved to shop the ten for ten deals at Albertson's. This was the last thing we did together as a family.
25. He always made me feel special,and would thank me every time I cleaned the house. He also always had time for our kids. We were poor students, but he would always come up with fun things to do with them. My personal favorite was our weekly trip to Petco, just to look at the puppies and goldfish.
As I look back over the past two years, I am so grateful for the blessing that I had to be married to Nic, for the two kids that we have, and for all of the love and fun memories that I have to treasure. I am thankful for the life that I have now. For Neil, and what a great dad and husband he is. Most importantly I am grateful for the gospel, and the knowledge of eternal families. I am grateful that this life is not the end, and someday we will all be reunited, and can be one big happy family.
As I look back over the past two years, I am so grateful for the blessing that I had to be married to Nic, for the two kids that we have, and for all of the love and fun memories that I have to treasure. I am thankful for the life that I have now. For Neil, and what a great dad and husband he is. Most importantly I am grateful for the gospel, and the knowledge of eternal families. I am grateful that this life is not the end, and someday we will all be reunited, and can be one big happy family.
Che' also put a really cute post about Nic on her blog. You can see it at landonandche.blogspot.com



23 comments:
That was fun to read Cort. It helped me to know him a little better. I didn't know him very well, but I could definately tell he was a good father and husband.
Cortney I loved reading this about Nic. I look up to you very much. You have showed me how to be strong in dealing with such difficult times. Thank you for being such a tough chic!!!
Oh Cort...making me all teary!! That was such a sweet post. I love the special memories you and Nic shared. You are amazing!!! Hello---I didn't know you play Scum!!! Us too!! We REALLY need to get together! I miss you...all 8 miles away!! :) Love ya!
I'm sure that was really hard for you to remember all that. Thank you for sharing it with us. I didn't know Nic, but I'm sure he's smiling. XOXOX
I loved when you two showed up to Cindy's for her "Hippy-party". You're right about always making an entrance. That and everyother time I saw him he'd hurt himself somehow. Hee hee! Love you girl!
That was a really good tribute to Nic. I cried the whole time! (its not hard for me to cry these days ;) He was such a great dad. I only saw him at family parties but whenever he was around he was playing with the kids. I had to laugh at the mohawk comment cuz I remember him showing up with it at a family party but I wasn't sure why he did it. You are such a strong person your kids and Neil are so lucky to have you.
It's so fun to read these little posts. They always make me smile because I can totally remember his weird voices and the things he would tease me, you, and me and you about. He is a wonderful man.
Cortney, it was good to learn more about Nic. You are an amazingly strong woman and a great role model to me. Can't wait to see your newest addition.
This is such a neat post! I am really glad that I got to see you that night to! You are the cutest pregnant lady I ever seen!!! Can't wait to go scrap booking with ya!!
That was really nice. He was such a funny guy. I haven't seen those photos in a while. But I have to just say how much I love Neil. He's so good with your babies he makes my heart melt. We couldn't have gotten a better silver lining in our little rain cloud. (Ok big cloud!) ;)
That was beautiful Nort. And fun to read. I am glad you are thinking about the positive and wonderful qualities he posessed. That is definitely the best way to remember someone!
Oh Cortney, I kept thinking of you yesterday.
That was so fun reading about Nic. I can't believe he did that on your first date....wait maybe I can!!! He was such a character!
Thanks for sharing that. You are one strong woman!
I loved reading this post and you know I never swear but, damn I miss that marinate recipe. It was sooo good. I do remember how good Nic was to the missionaries. In fact I sometimes wondered if they lived with you guys they were over there so much. I miss you and am so happy to see you happy. Thanks for being such a good example and friend. Love you!!
Loved the post Cort... I am so glad that you can remember all of these funny, everyday things about Nic so that Mason and Avery can know their Dad. I love you so much and I am proud of you for being so strong throughout all of this.
Girl, you are amazing! I think of him often and talk to him most nights in my prayers. I have some super funny memories from HS, JH, and ES. He will always be remembered. I'm gald that you are still a part of us. Nic will live on in those kiddos. I'm glad that you found another Asthon man!
I thought about Nic and your family a lot the other day, I can't believe it's already been 2 years. You are such a strong woman. Your kids are so lucky to have been blessed with a Mom that will forever carry on their Dad's legacy...and a legacy he left!
Loved it Cortney. It made me laugh. We all miss Nic. I don't Brad has played Risk since that Christmas. I am so happy that you are able to remember the little things, that is something your kids will love when they get older.
I am so glad you posted something to remember him, I love seeing your pictures, it makes it feel like he's even a little bit closer and it hasn't been so long. Brad was walking past and saw me reading your blog- he stopped when he saw what I was reading, and got a little choked up. We love him and we love you, I agree with Carlie- We love Neil too!
oh that was so super cute, I am so happy that we have eternal families, I miss you so much friend come see us, oh wait your about to have a baby. love you!!! talk to you soon
Cortney, I really enjoyed reading about Nic. It's fun to get to know him thru you and get to you you more in the process. I'm glad Neil found you. You guys are awesome. Good luck on the baby if I don't talk to you before. Can't wait to know what it is.
That was a fun trip down memory lane. I love it when you but those posts up!! I can't believe you are almost ready to pop!! Has your mom told you what your having yet?? What are you phone #'s so I can keep in touch!!
I didn't know Nic, but it seems he was such a great person. I'm so glad we get to see our loved ones again someday.
i don't know how i missed this post, but i did. and now i'm crying here, blessed with those lovely hormonal tears. you are an amazing girl cort, and are such an example to me. you & nic were such a cute couple and i am so glad that you have married another great man who's not only good to you but good to your children.
you deserve all the best life has to offer.
love ya!
Post a Comment