Tuesday, August 26, 2008

{domestic diva}

The kids and I are in Island Park for the week dog sitting for our friends. Well, yesterday I picked tons of beans that needed canning. My mom and I usually can together because she is always afraid that I will blow myself up with the pressure cooker. (I was the daughter that lit cotton balls on fire in my room so she always worries what I might do) Anyway, she had to go out of town this week so she left it up to me. I am proud to announce that I am a canning fool. I now have 72 pints of beans sitting down on the counter. I am pretty excited about it, and can't wait until Sue dawg gets home from Sun Valley so I can show her our bountiful harvest for winter. But if I have to snap another bean I think I will throw up!

19 comments:

Carlie said...

I love that you're coming along there Betty Crocker, but you need to forget about the beans. :) I really need some tomatoes!! Think you can do that for me? PLEASE! It'll be a long winter without any...again!

T said...

your crazy!!! Oh and while your at it I would like some peaches canned

Sabra said...

I'm so proud! Canning is one thing that I have never learned how to do....yet!
Have fun in Island Park.

LaNdOn AnD cHe' said...

72? Help a sista out

Amanda B said...

Hey, I just wanted to say congrats on the baby.. I'm really excited for you guys. Thanks for all your help with the blogs too. I love reading yours but need to get better at blogging myself. Anyway, congratulations! I'm excited for you guys.

Desiree said...

You crack me up! Good job on the canning; Sue dawg is going to be so impressed!

McArthurs said...

Oh man, i wish we had some. We are down to our last 2 jars of canned beans that we brought with us from home. They're so much better than the stores. You are so funny Cort, did you really light cotton balls on fire in your room? Hilarious! Why cottonballs of all things?

The Taylor's said...

Sounds like you've been a lean, mean, beaning queen. Snap over a few to me! Very impressive.

Mandi said...

You go girl!! I myself have canned a million beans all by myself this year. I had to trap Cole in the stroller for like 6 hours so he wouldn't blow himself up! Me and Chelsey even made applesauce. Gosh look at all of us finally growing up!!

Reynolds said...

That is so funny!!! I have never been much of a canner myself-my mom always has to hold my hand!! Maybe you could teach me how to do it alonne:) I'm gonna do the bag tag one of these days!

Megan and Shawn said...

Very impressed with your domestic skills! 72 jars that's quite a lot of beans. Hope your feeling good.

District 6 Festival Committee said...

Congratulations!!! That is a huge amount of work. Way to go! Cotton balls huh? Don't tell my boys.. they would totally try that.

Bree said...

Oh you really are a domestic diva, aren't you! HAHAHA! You crack me up! I've never even eaten canned beans before!! Let's move on to jam...that would be FUN! :) Hope to see you soooon!!

Ormeeheads said...

Good for you, that is awsome!

Jen said...

I wouldn't know how to can anything even if I wanted to. Good thing I haven't wanted to yet....Anyways, congrats! I am super impressed at your abilities. You're way ahead of me!

The Walker Family said...

Hey Cort,

Are we still getting together Monday?? I tried your # but it no longer works. Call me 713-870-3927, 713-870-3926, or 281-520-6623. Hope to see ya. :)

Jen said...

Awesome! I canned my first beans this last week and it was a disaster - the canner is old and the rubber ring blew out while they were processing. I'm impressed you did so much by yourself!

Kayla said...

Hey, my grandma said that she heard you are speaking in Chester ward. When? I want to come!!!!!

Jillian said...

HAHA...you are a canning fool!! Too bad you arent down here in the "UC" (Provo)...every wal-mart has thier own canning section...its true!!!!